Monday, August 13, 2012

Short but Great Week!

Hey Everyone!
 
There's not a lot to report on in this last short week but here I go.
 
Elder Sarmiento and I have been getting along great.  He is an awesome missionary.  Sometimes I just feel like sitting back and watching him go because he just always knows the perfect thing to say.  He's been out 20 months and it definitely shows.  He's also a really funny guy, I love him as a companion.  He helps me a lot with my Spanish too because he's from Peru and didn't start learning English until he got here.  We speak in Spanish all the time to each other except when we're talking to people that don't speak Spanish so that helps me a lot.  Sometimes it's funny because he talks to me in Spanish but i talk to him in English since he understands English but doesn't speak it very well.  I'm sure we sound funny talking to each other because we're talking two different languages to each other but understand perfectly what the other person is saying.
 
I had to give a talk yesterday at church and it went really well.  Saturday night they gave us a call and told us they needed two of us missionaries to speak tomorrow in church and the other missionaries in our ward called us and said one of us had to give a talk for about 5 minutes.  So I wrote down a few notes to give a talk and then when I got to church I found out we were the only two speakers and we needed to talk for about 15-20 minutes.  It went well though and the time went by really fast and I didn't even get to say all I wanted before sacrament meeting was over and I had to wrap everything up.  It was a ton of fun.  I remember being really nervous to give a talk when I was 12 in Sacrament Meeting but nowadays I love it, even in Spanish!
 
We had a really good lesson with a family called Familia Toscanos last week.  Other missionaries had been teaching them for a long time but once Elder Austin left I decided I wanted to start from the beginning and it was perfect for them.  We spent about an hour and a half with them talking about the Restoration.  They were really interested and had a lot of questions and we had to go because it was already 9:30 at night.  They wanted us to come back as soon as possible so we are going back tonight to finish with them.  I hope it goes well because this family is awesome and loves the missionaries but as of now are just really catholic. So we'll see.
 
That's about all that happened this week. I'll talk to everyone next week! Hope all is well
 
Los Quiero,
-Elder Gaskill

No comments:

Post a Comment